EP12: Brennan Dunn on startup launch tactics (part 2)
Learn Brennan’s trick for identifying a good market: “find a community, and just keep adding value.” Whether that’s a forum response, blog post, info-product, or SaaS app, learn how choosing an audience and sticking with them can pay off.
- “Most of my users don’t care that [Planscope] is project management software; they care about outcomes.” – Brennan Dunn
- “Instead of listing out technical features, which is what [we as developers] want to do, I need to tell a story.” – Brennan Dunn
- How did you get people to care? How did you get people to notice your product?
- “My entire marketing strategy is marketing through education. I knew the problems my audience was having, so I started blogging about those problems.” – Brennan Dunn
- “People don’t buy software just to buy software: they buy software to make their lives better somehow. A blog post is equally able to do that (to make their lives better).” – Brennan Dunn
- What kind of traffic did you get on your blog when you started?
- “I got a few thousand views over the months that I was building Planscope” – Brennan Dunn
- “Blogging allowed me to get out of the code and answer the question: ‘Why am I doing this?’” – Brennan Dunn
- How did you build your email list?
- It was a mailing list of 300 people when he launched.
- Brennan built his list over the 4 months that he was building Planscope.
- Most of the sign-ups to his email list came from his blog.
- 1/3 of his mailing list signed up for a trial account (100 people)
- 25% of his trial users converted to paying accounts (25 people)
- Where does growth come from?
- Most of Brennan’s customers have come from his blog posts, and his email list
- Another important source of traffic: his book Double Your Freelancing Rate.
- How much money has Brennan earned so far? (as of December)
- Planscope – $29,904 ($6,000 / month)
- Books – $35,00
- Classes – $41,000